Sarasota Lacrosse (SRQLAX) assures each player will compete in a safe, highly organized and competitive environment. Skill and sportsmanship are of equal value to MLA. We abide by the U.S. Lacrosse Code of Conduct and support U.S. Lacrosse by requiring all registrants of any MLA program to be members of U.S. Lacrosse. Membership in U.S. Lacrosse ensures a strong base of support for the development of the sport, and provides additional insurance protection for all parties.
THE CODE OF CONDUCT:
Players, coaches, spectators and parents are to conduct themselves in a manner that “Honors the Game” and demonstrates respect to other players, coaches, officials and spectators. In becoming a member of the lacrosse community an individual assumes certain obligations and responsibilities to the game of lacrosse and its participants. The essential elements in this “Code of Conduct” are HONESTY and INTEGRITY. Those who conduct themselves in a manner that reflects these elements will bring credit to the sport of lacrosse, themselves, their team and their organization. It is only through such conduct that our sport can earn and maintain a positive image and make its full contribution to youth sports in the United States and around the world. US Lacrosse supports the following behaviors for those participating or involved in any way with US Lacrosse in general:
- The essential elements of the “Code of Conduct” must be adhered to.
- Sportsmanship and teaching the concepts of fair play are essential to the game and must be taught and developed both at home and on the field during practices and games.
- The emphasis on winning should never be placed above the value of good sportsmanship, the concepts of fair play, or the skills of the game.
- Derogatory comments are unacceptable. Use positive reinforcement with players and adults alike. It should be remembered that criticism once made can never be retracted.
- The safety and welfare of the players are of primary importance.
- Coaches must always be aware of the tremendous influence they have on their players. They are to strive to be positive role models in dealing with young people, as well as with adults.
- Officials are expected to conduct themselves as professionals and in a manner that demonstrates courtesy and fairness to all parties, while exercising their authority on the field.
- Adults involved with the game must never permit anyone to openly or maliciously criticize, badger, harass, or threaten an official.
- Knowledge of the Rules of Lacrosse must be respected and adhered to by all who participate in the game of lacrosse, both in the letter and the spirit of the game. Attempts to manipulate rules in an effort to take unfair advantage of an opponent, or to teach deliberate unsportsmanlike conduct, is considered unacceptable conduct.
- Eligibility requirements, such as age and previous level of participation, must be followed. They have been established to encourage and maximize participation, as well as promote safety.