See How SRQLAX is Changing Lives
Dear Friends of Lacrosse,
SRQLAX, a 501(c)(3), non-profit organization, was founded in 2013 to facilitate and manage the transition of high school lacrosse from a club sport to a Florida High School Athletic Association sanctioned sport in our public high schools. The SRQLAX Board of Directors is a committee of 16 who represent a cross section of lacrosse coaches, lacrosse parents and community members.
To benefit the youth of Sarasota County, SRQLAX is working hard to bring access to the sport of lacrosse to our widely diverse student population. With the support of the Sarasota County School Board, we have been authorized to establish programs in our public high schools; approved on a case-by-case basis, and always with the stipulation that we fully fund each program for the first three years at a cost of approximately $100,000 per school. We established a varsity lacrosse program at Riverview High School in 2016 and Venice High School in Spring 2018. Our long-term plan includes expansion to Sarasota High School and Booker High School, and we are currently raising funds to start a varsity program at Sarasota High School as early as Spring 2020. Additionally, we are in the development phase of an outreach program for disadvantaged youth who would not otherwise have access to the sport.
Prior to our efforts, local high school lacrosse programs were only available through private schools or cost-prohibitive club teams. Despite exponential growth in the sport around the nation, many of our children were being left behind. Our goal is to bring sanctioned varsity lacrosse programs to all of Sarasota County’s public high schools and to afford all of our student athletes access to this growing sport and all of the academic and developmental advantages it affords.
Your support will help us in our efforts ....
- To level the playing field for all Sarasota County student athletes by bringing sanctioned varsity lacrosse to all Sarasota County public high schools.
- To give all of Sarasota County’s youth, regardless of where they live or where they attend school, access to the fastest growing team sport in our country.
- To give the students at Sarasota High School the opportunity to field a lacrosse program in Spring 2020 joining those at Riverview High School, Venice High School, Cardinal Mooney Catholic High School and Sarasota Military Academy in Sarasota County, as well as Lakewood Ranch High School, Manatee High School, Out of Door Academy, and St. Stephens Episcopal School in Manatee County.
- To help our teenagers learn the invaluable lessons of teamwork, interpersonal relationships, sportsmanship, and leadership.
- To open doors to admissions, scholarship and financial aid opportunities that may not otherwise have been available.
... to make a difference for the kids of Sarasota High School and Sarasota County
With sincere appreciation,
SRQLAX Board of Directors